Tay5G is a project that is part of Tay Cities Deal (TCD), a programme of projects to deliver strategic, economic development that is funded by the Scottish and UK Governments.
The Tay Cities Deal brings together public, private and voluntary organisations in the Scottish council areas of Angus, Dundee, Fife and Perth & Kinross to deliver a smarter and fairer region. Through initiatives like the Challenge Fund, Tay5G helps businesses, individuals, public sector and the third sector to engage with 5G technology. Tay5G promotes the exploration of the potential of 5G connectivity, unlocks access to word-class research and development expertise, state-of-the-art R&D resources and a diverse network of talent to develop impactful projects.
The rollout of 5G networks is of national and regional strategic importance to the Scottish Government. Tay5G is committed to ensuring that digital is at the heart of inclusive economic growth, public services reform and creating the future workforce.
Tay5G aims to deliver a range of outcomes, including productivity growth, digital skills, and connectivity improvement and promote the region and Scotland’s innovation credentials. The key outcomes include:
- Demonstration of which use cases and applications work
- Disseminating evidence and lessons learnt during project delivery which will reduce costs/barriers to 5G deployment – and identify barriers
- Increased and/or accelerated 5G R&D Investment in TCR
- Increased commercial certainty about 5G opportunities in the TCR and beyond
- Increased participation/collaboration with 5G ecosystems across SMEs, academia, larger companies, public and third sector
- Enhanced perception of 5G in the TCR, greater awareness of 5G capability
- Creating new opportunities for local businesses, including SMEs, to develop new applications and services they can market at home and overseas
Projects supported by the Tay5G Challenge Fund are required to contribute to these outcomes.